EasyPHP is an application that you install on your Windows computer which you can use as a development system for PHP / Apache and mySQL databases.
It can be downloaded form http://www.easyphp.org/ and I find it a very good way to develop applications using PHP on my Windows computer.
EasyPHP contains a single exectuable which when run, installs PHP, Apache web server and a mySQL database onto your Windows computer. All very neat and convenient to use.
However, when I tried to install on Windows 7 I came across a number of issues with Apache and with mySQL.
When I launched the software, Apache wouldn’t start. Here is the error :
Apache cannot run: another Web server is using the Web port or port is blocked by firewall.
To overcome this issue :
1. Click the EasyPHP icon beside the “Apache” button.
2. Click “Configure” then click “EasyPHP“.
3. Uncheck “Check server’s TCP port before starting” then click “Apply” button and then “Close” button.
4. Click “Apache” button and then click “Start“.
That fixes the “Apache cannot run…” problem.
The above gets the Apache server to work but after I closed EasyPHP and ran it again, I got this second error message :
Unexpected end of MySql… See log file?
This is a mySQL error message and is actually a file permission problem.
So I changed the user permission for the EasyPHP directory and mySQL correctly started.
To set your permissions this is what you do :
1. Open and view Drive C using the windows explorer, then double click “Program Files” assuming that you installed EasyPHP in that folder.
2. Right click on the folder where you installed EasyPHP then click “Properties“.
3. On “Security” tab click “Edit…” button.
4. Select the user that you are currently using. This will probably be something like “Users (computer name)”
5. Under “Permissions for Users” box, tick “Full control” on “Allow” column.
6. And then click “OK” button to apply the changes.
Now you should be able to start mySQL server by clicking “mySQL” button on EasyPHP dialog and then click “Start“. Or shut down EasyPHP and restart it again.
Hopefully that will solve issues when working with Windows 7 and EasyPHP.