Sell digital downloads with ecommerce store ....
PHP-eSeller is an ecommerce web application for selling digital downloads from your web site
using a shopping cart template. It can also sell physical (tangible) products. The type of
digital downloads that can be sold includes software programs, mp3 files, graphics, icons, photos,
ring tones, ebooks and videos and anything else that is a digital file.
The application is based on PHP / mySQL and as it is installed on your web site, you do not
have to pay any third party costs except for PayPal fees.
The application provides the checking of the completed transaction from PayPal before the digital download can be
accessed, it sends download emails, and has a template shopping cart to display the items.
The customer does not have to have a PayPal account to purchase an item but can use any
Credit Card supported by PayPal. PayPal then becomes just a payment gateway for the credit card.
- Interacts with Paypal's IPN system to monitor when a payment is complete for both digital downloads and physical goods.
- Automatically generates a login in url link for PayPal purchases to download their digital goods.
- The purchaser has a defined time limit to download their files and has a defined number of retries.
- Files are not accessible via a normal href link and hence cannot be downloaded by unauthorized users.
- The dynamic shopping cart is instantly updated by changes that you make in the admin section.
- Physical and digital items may be added to the cart at the same time.
- Shipping calculations (flat rate or percentage based) can be added to physical goods.
- You may place buttons by hand onto existing web pages, or use the template driven shopping store.
- Includes a test page to check the basic operation of the scripts.
- Incorporates testing via the PayPal environment so that the complete system, can be tested.
- Includes a facility to send items to multiple customers which may be used for upgrading software or complementary sells.
- All pages written in PHP and script is NOT encrypted.
- All credit card transactions are handled by PayPal.
Security of the digital downloads
There are a number of features that ensure your digital downloads are protected and cannot be downloaded unless they have been paid for. The files can only be downloaded after a valid PayPal IPN has been received, they can only be downloaded a set number of times and within a time period, and they are normally placed out side the root of the web site so that they cannot be accessed directly or are protected by an htaccess file.
Displaying your buttons
Products are viewed depending on how you want the PayPal buy now buttons to integrate into your web site.
- Hand constructed sites : You can create buttons by hand which may be placed anywhere on to
existing web pages. You may add 'buy now buttons' or 'add to cart' buttons and in the case of 'add to cart'
buttons you can also add in a shopping cart display. The technique makes it easy to add the dynamically
created data into existing web pages. It means you add digital products to exiting physical products on your site without changing your site.
- Dynamic shopping store : You can use the shopping cart store which is a complete application that automatically displays the products by category / subcategory extracting the data from the database so that any changes you make to an item, such as price etc will instantly appear on your web site. The shopping cart store system is entirely template driven using 'patTemplate' which means that changing the look of the pages can be easily achieved by modifying HTML pages and all add to cart buttons are created for you.
The customer receives an email which has an encrypted link that allows them to access their digital download. The link is
valid for a defined number of days.
Shopping cart demos
If you are going to use the template driven shopping cart displays, there are a number of templates supplied, some of which are illustrated below.
Installation and requirements
- PHP 5 and above
- Apache web server or Windows IIS
- mySQL database version 3.23 or higher
- Linux, FreeBSD or Windows operating system on the web server
- A Paypal Business or Premier account (if using PayPal) sign up
- Email functionality on the web server so that the PHP scripts can send out emails to customers.
- Most web hosts now have PHP and mySQL as standard so you should not have any issue in finding
a basic web hosting plan. We have found web hosts such as siteground.com and lunarpages.com
to meet requirements. Email us if you require advice.
It uses only 'standard' php, does not require any extra php modules, it should not need any
changes to the .ini file and it requires only minor modifications to file folder permissions.
Hints, tips and tricks : A free pdf on selling digital downloads
Find out more
Pricing : PHP-eSeller costs $55 U.S. Dollars, and yes we sell the product using our own application. Click
here to go to the purchase page for further details.
Demo : To view an on-line demo illustrating the admin pages and store front, click here.
The demo is live and you may purchase items to see how the system works. Items are $0.01 or $0.02 in value.
Enquiries : If you have any questions about the product, go to the contacts page by clicking here.
Showcase : To see how customers have used the application, go to the user sites page by clicking here